Friday, September 4, 2009

Where I've been...Where Im going...

1 year ago I stepped out of my "LIL BOX" and walked through the doors of Taylor Andrews Academy. I have always been somewhat intrested in being a hair stylist but to affraid to take the leap and do something I knew nothing about I always sat shackled to the options that seemed more reasonable to obtain. Finally taking that leap or stepping out of the box was the best thing I have ever done and now more sure of my future than I have ever been, I have impressed the public, Impressed my parents, Impressed my friends and most importantly Impressed myself with my ability to create, accomplish and become part of the most beautiful industry in the world. So where have I been? and Where am I going?

Eager to get involved and become the best I could in January a meer 4 months after I had started school and only a month after actively taking clients I entered into a contest called Beacon hosted by the PBA where they choose based on 3 before and after make-overs and a self promoting marketing peice the 100 top student hairstylists in Canada and the United States. I was excited to hear that I was choose and from there traveled to Las Vegas to learn from top hairstylists Micheal Baker, Philip Pelusi, Vivian Mckinder, Geno Stampora and many many more..


Dallas Curtis- Me- Geno Stampora

Its hard to not go away from these opportunities overwhelmed by motivation and excited to progress and push forward in this industry. So eager to become involved and become more than the average hairstylist I feel like I am doing my part to stand out in crowd of many. I have been doing photoshoots with some really great photographers in Utah and working with some really amazing Models, Fashion Designers, Make-up artists, and other Hairstylists to build my profolio. Heres my latest work.



High Fashion Photoshoot
Photographer: Jake Garn- http://www.jakegarn.com/
Fashion Design: Keith Bryce- (former contestant on project runway) http://www.keithbryce.com/
Make-up artist: Janelle Corey
Hairstylist: Josh Parkin and Chad Seale


High Fashion Costume Photoshoot
Photographers:
Make-up artist: Sherry Curtis
Hairstylist: Josh Parkin and Chad Seale
I have recently been asked by Larry Curtis (Owner of Taylor Andrews) to represent the school and enter under the student category in the North American Hairstyling Awards. (NAHA) I am so excited for the opportunity to do this photoshoot and I am eager to put my best work out there and be considered for this prestigous award. This is intimidating but I am ready to prove to myself more that with persistance anything is acheived. Here is the line up of professionals that will be doing the photoshoot.
Photographer: Babak - www.babak.ca/
Fashion Designer: Keith Bryce - http://www.keithbryce.com/
Make-up Artist: Sherri Curtis
Hairstylist: Me
Naha...Naha...Naha... This is all I want and "I AM" going to win :)

After this huge opportunity I am looking forward to getting back to work on more local photoshoots and continuing my education and experience in editorial work. I love Fashion, I love Hair, I love this industry.
The Scandal- The Payola Scandal that is: Many people who know me, know I am ambitious, sparatic, artistic, kaotic, talented, always busy either doing something or planning the next endevor, and eager to spread my wings in any way that I can. The Payola Scandal is my new band.. After a year or so of contemplating taking the next step in our musical envolvment Jason Gibbons (Lead Guitarist-Vocals) Bryan Allen (Bassist-Vocals) and me, Josh Parkin (Rythm Guitarist -Lead Vocals) had finally I reached the end of the rope in being "The Party Band" -meaning getting together on the weekends and jamming while we and other friends partied-. The ultimate problem was remembering the amazing things we had collectively produced during our "parties" and being able to reanact them when we were sober. We had to make a change and we did... In our atempts to make things official we have since been joined by Jake Gibbons(Bongo's- Vocals) and Ben Watson (Drums) forming the latest folk/ blues sensation The Payola Scandal www.myspace.com/thepayolascandal.



The best part about my life right now... "Were I've been... and were im going" is the ability to share these experiences with loved ones and friends who I have found -will- and -do- amazing things to help a small town boy acheive his dreams. I am living my dreams everyday only because family, friends, band mates, leaders, and professionals backed with motivation, passion, enthusiasm, willingness to try, persistence and a dream to succeed has given me inspiration.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so damn amazing my friend!
So stoked to see you pursuing this and not letting anything get in your way.

Keep on killin it!

Fish Nat!on said...

Ha, I remember seeing these pictures on facebook. Good work.

johanson family said...

josh, i am SO proud of you. it gives me tingles to think of the things you can accomplish... and will. you are so brave. brave and talented to share with those around you. we love you.